Updated: Oct 29, 2020
The big question. How to stay active at your work desk? This a truly difficult question. We find ourselves often to sit in a chair for hours without rest. This is a very bad position for our thoracic spine and the hip flexors. But we can still find the time to stay active even there. Just stand up, put your hands on your buttlocks and push them as you stretch your back at the same time. Easy thing, right? So let's summarize. My 6 greatest moves at work.
1) Stand off and walk for 2 minutes in every hour in your office. Just walk guys. You will see the difference at the end of the day.
2) Go to a wall put your arms over your head and do some squats. Rest and do it again for 1 minute in every 2-3 hours. This way you will help the blood flow and untight these hip flexors and also protect your low back.
3) Do a glute bridge with thoracic rotation. Sit in the floor, perform a glute bridge with your palms. Take on arm and try to reach the other side by rotating your upper body. This simple exercise will activate your glutes that are loosening by sitting and promote the mobility on your thoracic spine. Repeat it 5-6 times, 3 times per day.
4) Neck stretches. Due to the heavy load on the neck when we are working on a computer and the rounding we have, it's important to stretch it. Take on arm and place it behind your head by touching it. Take the other and touch your head from the front side. Push with your back arm lightly your head and at the same time with the other arm. Your head won't move that much but you will immediately feel the stretch. Repeat the same technique to the left and the right side. If you feel tight after that, do it 1 more time.
5) Now we will focus on loosening up these hip flexors. Take a lunge position on the floor and push your glutes. Repeat 5 times per leg. 3-4 times in a day is sufficient.
6) Try to do your work in a stand up position for as long you can. Sedentary life decrease your metabolism and increase the fat storages. Just stand up. It is a huge move. Simple but important.
That's it guys. Even if you can't do all of them just try 3 of them. It will surely help and make your life much more enjoyable.